At my second job (though we’ll officially call it my first since it’s steadier and more full-time) I work with 3 and 4 year-old abused, abandoned, and neglected children. We are in the process of planning a garden. The property is amazing and there is an old barn space, which was actually used as an aviary and is only overgrown with grass. So basically a bit of tilling, hoeing, and either finding water access or setting up a rain barrel and we have a fantastic outdoor classroom area.
We are seeking tax-deductible donations of the following items to help make this possible:
- Temporary use of a tiller or donation of one
- Seeds or plants – primarily vegetables, but we’d love to have some fruits as well (grapes, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc.)
- Gift cards to Home Depot, Lowe’s, Wal Mart or other nurseries, seed companies, etc. for direct purchasing of supplies
- Rain Collection System – rain barrel and other necessary pieces to have a fully functional rain collector
- Child-friendly watering cans (small-ish) and garden tools (cultivators, spades, and gloves)
- Trellises and stakes or materials to construct them (wood, bamboo, etc)
- Planting Soil (organic preferred) or ready-to-use compost
- Child-sized outdoor table(s) and chairs or full-size picnic table
This is a great learning opportunity for the kids as well as a chance to provide them with some self-grown food and lifelong lessons about sustainability and the earth. Any suggestions are welcome and I am going to possibly try and arrange with the bosses, in case we need something in lieu of a tiller, a potential workday with volunteers to come out and cultivate the land so that it will be ready to plant with the kids since their 3 and 4 year old muscles aren’t quite strong enough to rid the ground of weeds and grass that have taken over.
I am able to come collect donations in the Tampa area that will fit in a car, and would do my best to find a truck to pick up larger donations that you may not be able to deliver to the property in Thonotosassa, FL. Please contact me at email@example.com if you need more information.